Joint research with partners from various countries throughout Europe and beyond is becoming more and more routine. While cooperation is possible by phone, e-mail and online conferences, personal contact, exchange of results or the utilisation of laboratory technology by partnering institutions demands travelling. By car, by train, by plane – scientists spend a good part of their time moving through Europe or flying across the oceans.
But how to use travel time as effectively as possible? How to prepare for a short trip? What mistakes must be avoided? What can you do to make a business trip more bearable?
Here are some tips, provided by the editors of EuroScientist:
- Use the online check-in service of your airline: most airlines provide a pre-boarding online check-in at least 24 hours before takeoff.
- Never put your laptop in your baggage: always put valuable technology in your hand luggage, even if you do not plan to use it while on board.
- At security checkpoints, prepare yourself to pass the checkpoint as quickly as possible: take all coins and keys out of your pockets while in line for the safety check. You will get through the detectors quickly and easily.
- Take your own Ethernet cable with you: most hotels provide broadband ports in their rooms.
- Drink responsibly: while travelling, you have to keep hydrated, not only to enjoy your trip but to be fully concentrated on arrival at the meeting. Drink a lot of water (avoid alcoholic drinks). Most airlines provide free soft drinks in the on-board kitchen.
- Be a part of the workshop, not only it’s audience – ask questions, add comments or simply engage in some small talk while at a meeting or workshop. Nothing is more disappointing than coming back home thinking that the trip was a total waste of time.
If you think we have missed any useful tips and tricks, please send us an e-mail to email@example.com or add a comment to this article.
Featured image credit: Kulula's Flying 101
Latest posts by Simon Schneider (see all)
- Dreaming of Wernher von Braun - 26 March, 2012
- A beer with Alfred Wegener - 23 January, 2012
- 2012 – The end of the world and scientific misinformation - 17 January, 2012